How long do you leave whitening gel on your teeth?
It is recommended to leave whitening gel on your teeth for 30 minutes to 1 hour for first time users and increase the wearing time if there is little or no tooth sensitivity.
The duration of time you should leave whitening gel on your teeth for whitening will depend on the concentration percentage of the whitening gel (bleach) you are using. The time will also depend on your original shade of your teeth. If your teeth are stained or very yellow, it will take longer to bleach them. If you are not experiencing any sensitivity you may wear the trays for up to 30 minutes to 2 hours. It is also very important to remove all of the excess whitening gel materials around the gums after you are done.
Gel teeth whitening time will depend on:
The total time that will be needed for your teeth whitening will depend on several factors including:
- The concentration of peroxide in the teeth whitening gel you are using.
- The type of tooth staining, the color and appearance that you have.
Gel teeth whitening wearing time:
For carbamide peroxide teeth bleaching gels:
- 10%, 15% or 16% bleaching gel strength – use for up 2 to 4 hours once or twice/day
- 20-22% bleaching gel: use for up to 30 minutes to 1 hour once or twice per day (do not exceed 1 hr/application).
For hydrogen peroxide Bleaching Gels:
- For hydrogen peroxide bleaching gel: use for up to 30 minutes to 1 hour
The darker the teeth the longer your teeth will take to get lighter. Tetracycline stained teeth can take up 6 months or up to one year to become whiter. Tetracycline tooth stains can be yellow-brown or possibly blue-grey in color. Some teeth can whiten after one month of treatments.
Now there’s a better way to whiten your teeth at home and even on the go. Dr. Smile’s teeth whitening pens are the first revolutionary patented system allowing you to whiten, strengthen and rebuild enamel. The product line created by Elite Invisalign orthodontist Dr. Jacqueline Fulop-Goodling. Get a bright white smile today!